Da diese Expedition internationale Teilnehmer hat, folgen die meisten weiteren Angaben in Englisch.
Goal of this expedition is 4 days stay at the 613 m high volcano Erta Ale in the desert Danakil.
The second target will be Dallol.
Flights are booked, so here we go!!!
(last update: Sep. 2008)
Attention! The first day will be 3. Feb. 2008 (departure at Frankfurt will be 2. Feb. 2009)!
1. day Arrival in Addis Abeba. Overnight and dinner at the hotel.
2. day Today we will fly with Ethiopian Airlines from Addis to Makale. Overnight at Hotel.
3. day Drive down to the Amadela, Danakil. Camp.
4. day Visit of salt miningand the Danakil desert. Camp.
5. day Drive to Dallol volcano. Camp.
6. day Full day at Dallol, drive to Amadela. Camp.
7. day Drive to the foot of Erta Ale. Camp.
8. day Hike with transport camels to the crater of Erta Ale. Camp.
9. day Full day at Erta Ale. Camp.
10. day Full day (#3)at Erta Ale. camp.
11. day Hike down from Erta Ale. Camp.
12. day Early morning retourne to Makale. Overnight at Hotel.
13. day Full day at Makale just in case of delay. Visit of the marked. Overnight at the Hotel.
14. day Flight back to Addis. Hotel.
day of departure (17. Feb. 09) Flight back home at 23:20 with arrival next day.
day of arrival (18. Feb. 09) Frankfurt, Germany at 5:50
The costs of a participation is 2.480,- Euro per person (max 8 participants), based on 3 cars.
Our service includes all food, the compleate ground logistics (4xwheel drivers, cooks, porters, transfers in Addis, Hotels, camp equippment, permits, local guides and staff, mountain equipment to get down to the crater and retourne flight with Ethiopian Airlines (economy class) from Addis - Makale.
Up to you are the costs of the visa (about 50,- USD); the flight to Ethiopia as far as Makale and back (Ethipian Airlines retourn ticket is about 970,- Euro incl. Rail and Fly); costs for air-cargo of your personal equipment (about 20,- Euro per kilogram); departure tax if required, personal shoppings.
Detailed maps and informaition will be hand over to you before departure.
Necessary documents and vaccinations:
- A passport good for at least half a year when entering Ethiopia is required.
- A visa is obligatory for everyone and could be applyed 4 weeks before the arrival in Ethiopia at the ethiopian embassy in your country or on arrival at Addis int. Airport. The visa costs are about 50,- USD.
- A valuable yellowfeever vaccination is required for entering the country. We recomment also Hepatitis A (eventually B), Thyphus, Polio, Tetanus and standby medicine for malaria tropica (Mephloquine), although we are not in dangerous areas for malaria.
Professional film and foto aquipment has to be declared by entering and leaving the country. A list of equippment has to be hand over to me at least 2 month ahead of departure.
The winter mounth (Nov./Dec./Jan./Feb.) are best for an expedition. This is the dry season in the highlands and the coldest season in the desert with no chance of rain and about 40 degrees celsius.
General safety advise:
Check with your doctor if your phisical conditions are good for eventually 50°Celsius in the desert, basic food at some days, little comfort in the camp and sometimes low hygienic standards.
Note: All participants of this expedition have their own responsibility due to danger of volcanic activity, the desert in general and local gunmen.
Powersupply for video, computers and light. All these systems should be fully charged before leaving any hotel. A charging system for one car 12V to 220V will be provided.
Crater lake access is not planed with this expedition.
General Travel Equipment:
The list of basic travel equipment, which we will hand over to you at a later point, is based on our experiences and is to be understood as a support of your planning.